In South Asia:
• 50,000 female babies are aborted each month just because they are a female.
• One in three women are illiterate.
• Many young girls are forced or sold into a lifetime of prostitution. (1.2 million child prostitutes)
• Women commit suicide at a rate 21 times the world average.
• Every year, 7,000 women are doused in kerosene and burned to death by their husbands because of insufficient dowry.
• Widows are blamed for their husband’s deaths. They are then shunned by their communities, rejected by their families, and forced to live in an inhumane lifestyle. Tens of thousands commit suicide. (40 million widows)
• 92% of India’s women, aged 70 and older, are widows with little hope to survive.
But did you also know that there’s hope for women in South Asia?
Gospel For Asia is reaching and helping thousands of women in South Asia through women missionaries and their “Help for Suffering Women Fund.” If you are able, consider partnering with Gospel For Asia with a one-time gift or monthly support for a woman missionary. For more info, click here.