General Douglas MacArthur did something that is almost lost in history. He knew Japan had been devastated and the people now saw that their emperor was not a god. He was only a man. A man who had been defeated. What would replace emperor worship in the Japanese people? MacArthur sent word back to the churches of America.
“Send missionaries,” he said, “and Bibles.”
Over the following five years, some 5000 missionaries from all different kinds of churches went to Japan. The land was flooded with millions of Bibles. Looks like 5000 missionaries would be plenty. However, in a land of 71 million, the number of missionaries would be a microscopic .0000704 percent, or only 1 missionary for every 14,200 people. From 1945 to 1950 the Japanese people showed some interest in Christianity, but once their economy was rebuilt, and they began experiencing prosperity, it seemed they no longer saw a need. A door of opportunity was briefly opened, but then neglected and ignored by people on both sides of the Pacific Ocean. (A Moment in History with Dr. Jeff Sanders)
Today, Japan has the third largest economy in the world, but even so, Evangelical Christianity totals less than 1% of the nation’s 128,000,000 people. The biggest problems are that the spiritual powers and principalities have not been challenged by the power of Jesus Christ, the One called Faithful and True, who in righteousness judges and makes war.
My prayer today:
Lord, raise up Davids in Japan who will run toward spiritual battles using the Word of the Lord as a sword to slay spiritual Goliaths and to set millions of prisoners free in Japan. (Based loosely on 1 Samuel 17:48)
Join with me on Tuesdays to fast and pray for prisoners in Asia, according to Hebrews 13:3.
1. 4.4 billion people live in Asia.
2.. 85.4% of world’s unevangelized people live in Asia. (Unevangelized means they may have heard the gospel but have no understanding on how to respond.)
3. The world’s three largest non-Christian religions – Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhists – are based in Asia.
4. Of the 37 countries of the world that are less than 10% Christian, 32 are in Asia. Of the 14 countries, that are less than 2% Christian, 12 are in Asia.
5. 600 million people live in abject poverty in the slums of Asia.
6. 85-90% of unreached people live in Asia. (Unreached means that they have never heard the name of Jesus.) (Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation)