Afghanistan: 33.3 million people (99.8% Islam and .1% Christianity) Persecution Level: Extreme
The Taliban has regained strength since its overthrow in 2001, increasing its control particularly in the south and east. The country’s economy relies heavily on the drug trade as well as foreign aid.
Life for Christians:
Afghan believers must hide their faith and cannot worship openly. Many have left the country, becoming refugees, in order to practice their faith. Believers gather in homes or other small group venues. Proselytizing is strictly forbidden by the Quran and Sharia law. Kidnapping, torture and beatings are routinely employed to force Christians to renounce their faith. (The Voice of the Martyrs)
Afghanistan remains one of the most corrupt countries in the world. It has a life expectancy of 44 and only 12% of women are literate. None of those problems will be solved in just a few years. “This is a developing country, starting from a very low base, with shooting attached,” said one western official. (The Guardian)
My prayer today:
Lord, raise up laborers for Afghanistan who are willing to go and proclaim, “The kingdom of heaven is at hand,” and who are also anointed to heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, and cast out demons. (Based on Matthew 10:7-8)
Join with me on Tuesdays to fast and pray for prisoners in Asia, according to Hebrews 13:3.
1. 4.4 billion people live in Asia.
2.. 85.4% of world’s unevangelized people live in Asia. (Unevangelized means they may have heard the gospel but have no understanding on how to respond.)
3. The world’s three largest non-Christian religions – Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhists – are based in Asia.
4. Of the 37 countries of the world that are less than 10% Christian, 32 are in Asia. Of the 14 countries, that are less than 2% Christian, 12 are in Asia.
5. 600 million people live in abject poverty in the slums of Asia.
6. 85-90% of unreached people live in Asia. (Unreached means that they have never heard the name of Jesus.) (Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation)