David Yonggi Cho, founder of Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, South Korea, has been a powerful influence in my life. It wasn’t because of his teachings, but because of a statement he made in an interview for Charisma Magazine over twenty-five years ago.
The interviewer asked Cho, “Will America ever have a church as large (830,000 members) as Yoida Full Gospel Church?”
“No, I don’t think so,” replied Cho, “because I don’t believe Americans are willing to pay the price in prayer that it would take to build a church like Yoido.”
His words acted as a slap-in-the-face challenge to me and has continued to spur me on over the years.
Cho himself was not converted from Buddhism to Christianity by a powerful church service, but instead, his altar was a bed he laid upon, dying from tubuculosis as seventeen year-old. Each day, a twelve-year old girl stopped by his bedside and read the Book of John to him. The young girl’s words angered Cho, but he was too weak to resist.
Finally, the words of John came to life for Cho who then gave his life to Jesus and was healed.
Now think about this for a moment: One twelve-year old girl touched one life that touched millions of people in Asia and also spawned the cell group movement in the West and America.
My prayer today:
Lord, pour out Your Spirit on millions of children in Asia so that these youths can evangelize billions of people and turn a continent from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to Christ.
Join with me on Tuesdays to fast and pray for prisoners in Asia, according to Hebrews 13:3.
1. 4.4 billion people live in Asia.
2.. 85.4% of world’s unevangelized people live in Asia. (Unevangelized means they may have heard the gospel but have no understanding on how to respond.)
3. The world’s three largest non-Christian religions – Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhists – are based in Asia.
4. Of the 37 countries of the world that are less than 10% Christian, 32 are in Asia. Of the 14 countries, that are less than 2% Christian, 12 are in Asia.
5. 600 million people live in abject poverty in the slums of Asia.
6. 85-90% of unreached people live in Asia. (Unreached means that they have never heard the name of Jesus.) (Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation)