Qatar: 2.1 million people (87.4% Muslim and 6.3% Christian) Persecution Level: Severe
Qataris are the richest people in the world, thanks to oil and gas revenues. The Thani family has ruled for 150 years, and in 2013 the former emir transferred power to his son.
Life for Christians:
Though conversion from Islam is a capital offense, no one has been punished for apostasy. However, Christian converts and Christian migrant workers face constant pressure. The government allowed the construction of “Church City,” where thousands of foreign Christians worship. No Christian symbols are allowed in advertising or other areas visible to the public. (Voice of Martyrs)
90% of Qatar’s population of about two million is made up of migrant laborers. The Qataris (10%) enjoy the highest GDP per capita in the world. Expatriates and migrant workers are generally perceived and treated by Qataris as slaves. Forced labor and human trafficking are major problems. Working conditions for migrant workers can be inhumane and dangerous; they face underpayment, domestic violence, sexual abuse and lack proper living conditions. It is not uncommon for them to die at their work place. (Open Doors)
My prayer for today:
Lord, I pray that You open up the eyes of the Qatari people so that they realize how wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked they are without You. (Based on Revelation 3:17)
Join with me on Tuesdays to fast and pray for prisoners in Asia, according to Hebrews 13:3.
1. 4.4 billion people live in Asia.
2.. 85.4% of world’s unevangelized people live in Asia. (Unevangelized means they may have heard the gospel but have no understanding on how to respond.)
3. The world’s three largest non-Christian religions – Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhists – are based in Asia.
4. Of the 37 countries of the world that are less than 10% Christian, 32 are in Asia. Of the 14 countries, that are less than 2% Christian, 12 are in Asia.
5. 600 million people live in abject poverty in the slums of Asia.
6. 85-90% of unreached people live in Asia. (Unreached means that they have never heard the name of Jesus.) (Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation)